Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

I have a carrier crusader furnace that will not ignite. I can

I have a carrier crusader furnace that will not ignite. I can reset it by switching the power off and back on. the unit starts to run but will not ignite. trWhat happens is that the (glow igniter? ) does get hot and then a blue flame shoots out about 2 inches. That flame continues for the count of 5 and then shuts off. Then nothing for a short while, after about 30 seconds the process repeats itself. After the process has made 4 or 5 unsuccessful attempts the unit shuts off. Also in case the matters this is a propane furnace. We have a 300 gallon tank and the indicator is reading about 50 gallons.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rickheatdoc :

This sounds like a problem with the flame sensor

Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.
You can try cleaning the flame sensor with fine sandpaper. It looks something like this (it could be straight not bent)
it will be positioned so it is engulfed by the burner flame. Often all it takes is to clean the metal rod off

Edited by Rickheatdoc on 12/3/2010 at 2:45 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i haven't had a chance to get to the cabin a try your reccomendation. if i can get it to work i will accept. if not i will recontact you. it will probably be monday evening before i know,
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.
I usually am not logged in after 5 pm Eastern. I will answer as soon as I can there after
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am going to the cabin later today. The flame sensor in the picture looks like it could be held in a bracket with a screw and once that is removed a firm pull will unplug it. Is this thing fairly durable ?
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is. It's basically a steel rod with a ceramic insulator. If you crack the ceramic it's junk but getting it out shouldn't require that much force. You just need to clean off any build up on the rod

Edited by Rickheatdoc on 12/5/2010 at 1:53 PM EST