Bart Jay
Bart Jay, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years in HVAC. NATE Certified EPA certified

Hello, I have a dayton infrared heater model 3E461B, serial

Hello, I have a dayton infrared heater model 3E461B, serial 000501000018A. The heater will work for fine sometimes and sometimes after 5 or 10 minutes it will quit burning. We have cleaned the heater. What should we check next?
Do you have the moel number of the thermsotat?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is no thermostat. This heater is operated with a light switch to turn on power to the heater.

There is a flame rod that may need to be cleaned. It is a metal probe that snese the flame. Has ceramic on the end and a metal probe. Lightly sand that ans see what happens. looks somthing like this

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I tried that, but the heater still went out after a few minutes.

There only only two things that would dhut it doen one is the flame rod, or the main control board. Without a meter its a crap shoot but the flame rod is cheap and easy to replace. here is the Grainger parts list

VR4205M-1316 Lp Gas Valve-120v 1 Contact Us
GA10-15 Manifold 2 Contact Us
JB0514 Box,junction 3
MARK10DX-117 Circuit Board - See Note 4 Contact Us
52 ORIFICE Orifice-lp Gas 5 Contact Us
HVW-18 18in High Volt Wire 6
LVW-18 Low Voltage Wire 6
32-508 Electrode Assembly 7 Contact Us
DR-RH Rayhead Heater Assembly 8 Contact Us
DR-LROD Rod L-171/2 Inch 9

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a meter, what shall I check?
With the flame on you need to put your meter is series with the flame rod and measure micro amps
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Am I looking for a certain reading, or am I just testing to see if there is a reading and then I lose the reading when the heater goes off?

Both, you should have at least 5ma

If you have a good steady reading and the flame goes out the problme is the board

Edited by Bart Jay on 11/30/2010 at 4:32 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, had a reading of 1.0 to 1.2 for about 10 minutes with heater working properly, then reading dropped down to .2 and heater went out.

It the fire did not change at all then I would say the flame rod is bad. It may be expanding and changing its resistance.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I cleaned the burner some more and re-cleaned the flame rod - the heater has been burning for about 45 minutes now. Above you mentioned I should get 5ma - I get a range of 1.3 - 1.5 with my Fieldpiece SC76 set on uA setting. Is it crucial that we get 5ma or is it just important to have a fairly steady reading?
Steady is very important. It it stays running you should be good
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I believe we may have fixed it. It's been burning for 3 hours now. Thanks for your help.

Great thanks.

If it fails agian i would repalce the flame rod

If i helped please accept and positive feedback is appreciated
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did accept yesterday and I left feed back as well. Did it not go through or something?
I'm sorry it did thank you

Edited by Bart Jay on 12/1/2010 at 7:44 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No problem, thanks again for your help!