Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a Bradford White TTW2 gas water heater with an exhaust

I have a Bradford White TTW2 gas water heater with an exhaust motor. I lite the pilot light, it stays lit, turn on the gas valve, gas chamber fires up, runs for less than a minute, then stops. Once the exhaust motor turned on the everything was running fine for a while. I oiled the motor thinking this could be the problem. I had a repair man come out March of last year (had a similar problem) and he told me the problem may be the motor, he oiled it and everything was fine. I am getting power to the motor. Would appreciate your help, need hot water, its cold here in MI.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rickheatdoc :

You have a power vented water heater with a pilot you can light with a match?

Rickheatdoc :

Is the power venter an aftermarket venter that's not part of the water heater?

Customer :

I can light the pilot, and the heat chambers fires up, but then stops. I don't believe this is an aftermarket venter, it looks like the picture on the service manual.

Rickheatdoc :

Give me a minute to look up your model heater. This doesn't add up

Customer :

Model MI1TW50S6CN10 Serial no. PD9062448

Customer :

one more thing, the vent motor on top does not kick on. It did once last night and I thought everything was good, then this morning I checked and the pilot light was out again. I could light it, turn the gas valve to "on", the heating chamber fired up, the motor did not kick in, everything shut down and the pilot light went off.

Customer :

While waiting I found a trouble shooting guide. The problem as defined in the guide "Pilot will light, burner will come on but will shut down in a few minutes" the cause (if the blower doesn't come on) could be 1) a defective blower motor, 2) defective pressure switch, 3) no gas pressure due to a blocked pressure line or defective gas solenoid valve.

Rickheatdoc :

Ok, sorry for the delay I had a phone call I had to take

Rickheatdoc :

If the fan doesn't start nothing will (or should work) the fact that you can light this heater with a match concerns me. It's an indication of a failed safety device.

Rickheatdoc :

The first thing that should happen when the heater thermostat calls is the fan should start

Rickheatdoc :

Only after it starts does the draft pressure switch come into play

Rickheatdoc :

Gas pressure is a long shot and doesn't sound applicable in this case

Customer :

From the trouble shooting guide (see my most recent paragraph above), the burner can come on before the blower motor.

Customer :

Note, I light the pilot light with a match, the burner fires up after I turn the valve from "pilot" to "on".

Rickheatdoc :

No way the burner can come on before the fan starts

Rickheatdoc :

How old is this heater?

Customer :

1992, 18 years old

Rickheatdoc :

OK, first off an 18 year old heater is waaaay passed it's normal life expectancy. I have seen less than a handful of heaters (no gas heaters) last that long in 40+ years of doing this. What it will cost to fix this isn't worth the expense and the likelihood you will find parts is slim to none since this model has been obsolete for 15 years.

Customer :

Yes it is old, and I should probably get a new one. If it has been obsolete for 15 years, then it was obsolete three years after it was new.

Customer :

Should I have a repair person come in or just get a new water heater?

Rickheatdoc :

The model changed that long ago. I'd just replace it. It doesn't owe you a thing. In fact it should probably be in the plumbing book of world records for longest lasting gas water heater

Customer :

But, if I fix it I can continue this record for maybe another couple of years.

Customer :

Thank you for your time you have been helpful

Rickheatdoc :

Extending your record would probably cost more than it's worth ;o)

PLease hit accept
Thanks for using Just Answer

Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience: 40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.