M Oglesby
M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Universally Certified HVACR Technician
27079509

My York LY8S furnace is flashing 4-red code... Open Limit Switch

My York LY8S furnace is flashing 4-red code..."Open Limit Switch" the troubleshooting guide says this is dirty filter(s). The filter has been replaced but still flashes 4-red. Is there a reset? The auxillary fan works and the blower motor seems to be working fine but no flame/heat.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  M Oglesby replied 4 years ago.

M Oglesby :

There may be a manual reset rollout limit switch that is open.

M Oglesby :

The rollout limit switch is a small round metal disc looking device that has two wires attached to it and a small red button on top of it.

M Oglesby :

They are usually located around the burner tray inside the furnace cabinet. There may be more than one.

M Oglesby :

Try to locate them and press the little red button in.

M Oglesby :

Let me know if you find them.

JACUSTOMER-5rdz86v3- :

there are three, one on top and one on each side....the top on clicked when i pressed it...still same error

M Oglesby :

Turn the power off then back on to see if this resets the board, then try to call for heat.

JACUSTOMER-5rdz86v3- :

can this be done by the door switch or do I need to switch the breaker

M Oglesby :

Switch the breaker.

JACUSTOMER-5rdz86v3- :

didnt do it

M Oglesby :

Ok the main limit switch must be open.

M Oglesby :

It is located on the back panel wall inside the furnace cabinet.

M Oglesby :

It is rectangular and has two wires attached to it. Let me know when you locate it.

JACUSTOMER-5rdz86v3- :

It has a red wire on one plug and two whites off the other plug? 1NT17L on the label?

M Oglesby :

Usually they only have two wires attached to them but lets try to bypass it.

JACUSTOMER-5rdz86v3- :

ok

M Oglesby :

Remove the two wire leads and attach them together metal to metal. Let me know if the error code remains the same.

M Oglesby :

Make sure to attach them very good.

JACUSTOMER-5rdz86v3- :

that did it

JACUSTOMER-5rdz86v3- :

is it safe to keep that bypassed or whats next?

JACUSTOMER-5rdz86v3- :

Hello?

JACUSTOMER-5rdz86v3- :

anyone there...its been 45 minutes?

M Oglesby :

That means that switch is bad and needs to be replaced. Ok to temporarily bypass but not for long.

M Oglesby :

Please hit ACCEPT so I can be paid for my time. Thanks!

M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience: Universally Certified HVACR Technician