Rich
Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 35 years construction and home maintenance experience
5098113

I have a kerosun monitor 30 heater in my garage that doesnt

Customer Question

I have a kerosun monitor 30 heater in my garage that doesn't want to work properly. Over the summer months when not in use the burner filled up with kerosene and when I tried to get it running, it wouldn't light. I drained the burner and got it to work and thought it ws fixed. The next time I tried it, same senario. I then decided to turn off the tank valve and see if that would cure the problem. Now it won't light because of lack of fuel. It has a small lift pump to add fuel if it runs out and somrtimes that works to get it going ,but not always. I have looked at the fuel solenoids and what I would call a carburetor, but I don't see anything wrong. If I get it to light it works great. I also checked the ignitor coil and it gets red hot. Any ideas?
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.

When flooding of the burner occurs , it is usually an expansion of the fuel .. since it has no where else to go . it floods into the burner section ..

is the fuel stored in the same area as the burner . or is it outside in a cool;er area ??

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The fuel is stored outside. This has never ocurred before this season. The fuel would be very cold right now{0 degrees} and it is still doing it.
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.
Yes .. and when that fuel sits in the heater as it warms , it expands and will flood into the burner .. if there were a way to vent the fuel so it has a place to expand .. then that would lessen the problem
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The fuel is vented in the burner. Also the garage is not kept heated all the time so the fuel is basically the same temperature inside the garage as outside in the tank. The only time it is warmer in the garage is when I actually have the unit burning.Have you ever actually worked on one of these units? I know they weren't widely sold. My Dad was actually a dealer for them.