M Oglesby
M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Universally Certified HVACR Technician

Sometimes when my furnace kicks on I can smell natural gas

Customer Question

Sometimes when my furnace kicks on I can smell natural gas coming through the vents in my house. It doesnt always happen but does happen daily. Odor lasts for 30 seconds to a minute then dissapates. It started this spring.

I had the gas company out in april they checked everything and found a small leak in the furnaces regulator valve. Had the hvac guy out and replaced regulator valve. The smell was still there

Had the gas company back out they found no leaks they checked lines, water heater and furnace. Had the hvac guy back out he checked furnace again no leaks. Of course it never happens when either are here.

I had the water heater replaced about the time this started and had plumbers out that used the roof vents to unclog a clog could any of this be related
Category: HVAC
Expert:  M Oglesby replied 3 years ago.

M Oglesby :

When does it happen? Does it happen at the start of the ignition of the heater, or in the middle of the heat cycle?

Customer:

start

Customer:

as soon as heat begins to come out vents

M Oglesby :

What you are smelling is when the igniter glow coil or spark igniter comes on the gas valve opens to allow the burners to ignite. It is not uncommon to smell this gas at first. But I would advise you to have a technician check your igniter to make sure it is working properly.

M Oglesby :

Please hit ACCEPT if you are satisfied with this answer. If not, I will continue to assist you. Thanks! Bonuses and positive feedback are very much appreciated!!

Customer:

Well I guess my follow up would be I never smelled gas anytime before this past spring but now smell it daily so this was not common to our house. So something must have broke or is in the process of breaking.. I would have thought the hvac guy would have noticed a spark igniter if there was a problem or is this something he could have missed

M Oglesby :

The spark igniter could be , for lack of a better word, partially working. It may have a delay that is allowing more gas to come out of the gas valve before the burners catch on.

M Oglesby :

The HVAC guy could have easily missed this.

M Oglesby :

Please hit ACCEPT so I can be paid for my time. Thanks! Bonuses and positive feedback are greatly appreciated!!!