Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.

I have a Coleman 7900 Standing Pilot Furnace (7956 A856) and

I have a Coleman 7900 Standing Pilot Furnace (7956 A856) and the pilot light won't stay lit and it has put out a lot of soot. The repair tech said that it was a problem with the fresh air intake and I need a new furnace because this model is so old. Can anybody tell me what exactly the problem might be, because the tech hasn't been able to explain it to me
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! There are different reasons why a pilot can be sooty. One is that the pilot just needs a thorough cleaning. Take apart, blow out the pilot tubing, clean pilot and orifice. Another reason may be a plugged heat exchanger. This is a fairly big job to clean out all of the soot, etc but can be done. There are 2 ways to tell if your heat exchanger is plugged, visual inspection and a CO test. These are things best left to a professional as he will know what to look for.
But I would certainly get at least one more opinion before purchasing a new furnace as the previous company may just be trying to sell a furnace.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well, I've heard from the previous tech twice and all he offered was that it was something that couldn't be repaired, but all he ever did was to look down the chimney/exhaust out the roof of the house. I actually took the chimney all out to try and see what he said was the problem so I could better understand it and I have failed to see what could be causing a problem with the fresh air intake, which is what the tech claimed was causing the soot. The same tech put a new gas valve/pilot assembly on this furnace about 2 months ago. Is there any kind of a damper or vent piece in the top of this furnace that would fail, he called it a bevel.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
There are many venting parts both for fresh air and exhaust, but I fail to see why these can't be replaced. Have you gotten a second opinion yet? It sort of sounds like this guy may not know what he's doing.