Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.

My American Standard furnace wont fire up. The control unit

My American Standard furnace won't fire up. The control unit LED stays on constantly and according to the labeling, it means the control is bad and needs replaced. It will cost 300 to do that. Could it be something else?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! I'll need a bit more information to help you such as the full model and serial number of the unit. Does the furnace do anything at all in the heating mode?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a Freedom 80. Model number ADD060R936C4. Ser N023LFT1G. The control module is a White Rodgers 50A51-495. I found the furnace with the blower on but no flame. I turned the thermostat off and back on. The furnace began with the exhaust vent fan, the ignitor turned on, flame came on and then went out after several seconds. the ignitor glowed again for several seconds and then shut off. The light on the module then went from fast flash to steady on. The blower stayed on. Then, I cut power for a couple of minutes. When I turned power back on, LED was flashing fast, vent fan came on, ignitore glowed for several seconds, no flame, LED switched to solid.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
You are correct, a continuous on indicates replace control. I would also clean the flame sensor just as a matter of routine maintenance.