Richard, Technical Manager
Experience:  27 years of Experience, NATE Certified, professional trainer

This is about moving the furnace to attic. I bought an

This is about moving the furnace to attic.

I bought an one-story house. The furnace is indoors, near the entrance. It has a exchange box for central cooling. The AC unit is outdoors.

The down flow Bryant 373LAV036070 and the A/C unit are 13 years old.

Living space is premium in the 1461 sf house. I would like to move the furnace to the attic so that I can use its space as part of rearrangement of the hallway closet and the close of the adjacent bedroom. That would make the bedroom bigger and not in odd shape.

5 years ago, on my 2-story house, I replace 2 furnace. For the upstairs furnace, the original furnace is the up flow and next to the stairwell. I spent $800 extra to have the contractor install the new furnace in the attic and in horizontal position.

I check the manual, and it says the 80% AFUE Bryant 373LAV036070 can be placed in horizontal position.

My question is, is it worth the expense just to move this 13-year old furnace to attic, or get a brand new 80% AFUE brand new unit to the attic.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Hello if it has been problem free or few issues i would say yes. The one thing you want to keep in mind is the furnace is not a big deal relocating wont hurt it. however the ac unit has to be ( coil) has to go as well and if they don't replace the line set and clean the lines and coil you often have issues. Now any good ac guy will know to put a filter drier in line and do a triple evacuation. This will make sure the system ( cooling) continues to work.

As with anything new is better and the additional cost of the new equipment may be worth your piece of mind. Expect 20 years out of a system installed correctly. If you were to replace the heating and cooling side you could qualify for the federal rebates and any local rebates depending on the equipment which could off set the cost. Weigh your options, quotes are typically free.

Richard, Technical Manager
Experience: 27 years of Experience, NATE Certified, professional trainer