Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE

I want to install an Internet Thermometer in my vacation home.

I want to install an Internet Thermometer in my vacation home. I have wireless internet connection at the home, that runs 24/7. What do I need?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Douglas replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I'm Douglas and I am here to help you resolve problems with your heating and cooling equipment.

The Aprilaire 8870 is one of the few (believe it or not) that have network capability to the internet. I am not aware, at this point of any that have wireless internet capabilty. That is to say there are wireless thermostats but that is to say wireless with the thermostat and it's control module. The 8870 would need an eithernet connection which is simple enough.

You can see this at

On that web page they have a dowloadable "simulator" to show you how this works. You may want to download that and see if thats the type of operation you want.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Doug. Thanks. A couple more questions - I have a 'regular' thermostat on my furnace and airconditioner. Single zone system. If I get this Aprilaire thermostat, do I have to run an 'hard-wired' ethernet connection from the thermostat to something???? And, do I need power 120v to the thermostat? Running the ethernet line will be problematic, as the house is completely dry-walled, and the connection would have to run from the first floor to the finished basement. Thoughts? Thanks for your help. Mark
Expert:  Douglas replied 5 years ago.
No, its 24 volts. You will need some accessories with this...

You can use the existing thermostat wire to a 8188 distribution panel mounted by the furnace or air handler. The thermostat wires will connect to it, and another bundle will go into the furnace. Then connected to the distribution panel will be the protocal adapter which you will plug an ethernet wire into. You can mount this wherever you can. The hard wire will go to your router. Wireless routers do have ports for ethernet wires.

Maybe this will help. This covers several types of installations but gives you an idea of what it will take...