Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

My york gas furnace is not working properly. Even if the heat

Customer Question

My york gas furnace is not working properly. Even if the heat is set up at 78 deg, it won't start until the temp drops to 64-65 deg. Some times it won't start at all until the thermostat or the power switch is turned off and then turned on. Even when it starts, it would run for a 2 to 4 minutes and shut off when the temp reads 66-67 deg even though the heat is set at 78 deg. I've tested three different thermostats and it's the same thing with all. So, the problem is not with the T-stat, but it is with the furnace controls. How can I spot and correct the problem?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! What kind of thermostats have you tried? Models? Have you checked for power down at the furnace when it prematurely shuts off? What you could do is leave the lower furnace door open (with the blower door switch pushed in) and when furnace shuts off, check for voltage from C to W at the low voltage strip. See if you have 24 volts.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I needed to call service to solve the problem. Thanks for your initial response. I will not need any further help.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 years ago.
OK, sorry we weren't able to help.