Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician
Experience:  15 years of experience, NATE Certified, Licensed HVAC Contractor, Certified IAQ Specialist
31091390

I have a Heil Ultimate III furnace, installed with my home,

I have a Heil Ultimate III furnace, installed with my home, built 15 years ago. It used to be quiet. It has started to make a very loud buzzing noise on start up, which lasts about 40 seconds. Once I can hear the main fan come on, the sound slowly fades and then completely stops. This pattern repeats itself 100% of the times the furnace kicks in. The furnace is producing heat fine. We have a CO2 detector and no probelms reported. Do you have suggestions on this issue and what ballpark cost might be involved for resolution? Is it the inducer motor?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Regan Land replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be happy to assist you today.

Based on what you described above, I would say that it's most likely the induced draft motor bearings. If this is the case, you'll likely be looking at a couple to a few hundred dollars to replace (likely around $200-300).

It is also possible that the relay for the induced draft motor has pitted contacts and is buzzing. If this is the case, the buzzing won't stop after 40 seconds, but bay get drowned out by the blower.

Now that I see what you said in the Already Tried section, I'm almost certain you'll need a new induced draft motor. It will be better to go ahead and replace rather than wait until the motor fails on a cold night.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there any safety concern with this issue? How long can we wait to fix it... is a week ok? Will it last...or could it completely fail in this time? If it fails, what will happen to our heat?

There is no safety concern as the pressure switch has to close before the furnace will fire up. The pressure switch can't close if the induced draft motor isn't running.

You can wait a week, but it's impossible to say if it will last until then. It may fail next time it starts, or it could work for another 2 years... hard to say.

If it fails, the furnace will completely shut down and there will be no heat.

Regan Land, HVAC Technician
Experience: 15 years of experience, NATE Certified, Licensed HVAC Contractor, Certified IAQ Specialist