Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

How to tell if your gas is shut off, furnace not working?

How do I know if the gas company has shut off my gas or not, my furnace will not turn on...

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer

Do you have any other gas appliances? Do they work? Most of the time the gas company will lock the meter when they shut off the gas.

JACUSTOMER-9ccshc0b- :
No just the furnace I believe, the valve is on and not locked outside

Rickheatdoc :
Then you have a problem with your heating system

JACUSTOMER-9ccshc0b- :
So just to be certain, when they shut off my gas, it is at the meter like I do when I’m at a house fire, the furnace has an electric pilot light also

Rickheatdoc :
The only way the gas company will shut off your gas is at the meter. If they are called in for a problem and find an appliance unsafe they will tag it and may lock it off if possible

JACUSTOMER-9ccshc0b- :
ok then, the valve is vertical, unlocked, so it should be on? So the problem lies within the furnace or thermostat then?

Rickheatdoc :
If your other gas appliances still work then the gas is not off. Yes your problem probably is with the thermostat or furnace

JACUSTOMER-9ccshc0b- :
ok the others are electric, but it sounds like my gas is still on and that is the question i had. I thank you for your time, i will have to look into the furnace

Well, i turned on the fan manually, and it is blowing warm,,,,I guess i found my issue...

Thanks again!