Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a Lennox Whisper Heat furnace that appears to be about

Customer Question

I have a Lennox Whisper Heat furnace that appears to be about 10 years old or so. We just started it up a week ago for the first time after purchasing our home. We just replaced the Ignition Control Box with the 30W33 and believe we have hooked it up correctly. The damper is not opening. We have run through three cycles and still no damper opening. We have taken a picture to show someone to make sure we have hooked it up correctly. Any Ideas?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! On the Whisper Heat, the damper will open before the ignition control starts working. If you've hooked it up correctly, you may have a bad damper motor, although this is rare.

Can you forward pictures of the wiring as you hooked it up?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the quick response! Where should I forward the picture?

Also, we're not sure how to check that there's power coming to the ignition control. Where do we check the voltage to the unit?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
Check for 24 volts from ground to TH at the ignition control, should be 24 volts on a call for heat, but first the damper must open and make the end switch.
You can send pictures on the site here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We can not get the damper to open on it's own. Also, neither of the lights on the ignition control come on. Have you had the opportunity to review the picture?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
No, can you send it to the site here?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do you attach it?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
Create the file on your computer and there is a thing that looks like a chain link. when you click on it, it allows you to attach files.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have sent you the picture via email.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
They don't allow us to give out email here unless the site did it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Kate/My%20Documents/Downloads/IMAG0439.jpg
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
Enter this into the box that opens when you click on the little icon that looks like a chain. Then the file will upload.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry - we were having a browser problem. This only works in IE and we were using Chrome. Anyway, a photo of the wiring is below. My husband ran to the store and will be back shortly. In the meantime, if I can take a photo with a different perspective or anything, let me know.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, a photo with a more head on view would help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here are 2 more photos.

Register Here

Register Here

Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
Check the small resettable rollout switch right above the damper door. Also, check at furnace board from C to R to make sure you have 24 volts. You will need a meter set to AC volts.
Also, try CAREFULLY pulling the damper door open and see if this starts furnace. Do this very slowly so you don't damage motor

Edited by Tim H on 10/31/2010 at 3:45 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Re: the rollout switch - should we push it or pull it?

Sorry, I am not sure what "C" and "R" are.

Once I have the damper door open, do I keep it ope or do I let is close by itself?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
Push the button to reset. it may be OK. What happens when you get the damper door all the way open? Does furnace start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We tried pushing the button, but that did not work. Opening the damper door does not start the furnace. We never hear a clicking noise that might indicate it is trying to ignite.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
OK, cna you tell me where each of the wires that are on the ignition control go to? It's hard to see in the photographs.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
I need you to follow each of the wires from the terminals on the igntion control and tell me where it ends up. For example Pilot should go to a terminal on the gas valve.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
RedMV

BlueMV/PV
OrangePV
GreenGround
Yellow24V Ground
Brown24V

WhiteSense OrangeSpark
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
Here is a manual for the Whisper Heat. There is also a troubleshooting flow chart on page 12 of this manual. It's a good way to work through the furnace wiring and find where the fault lies. If you have a voltmeter and some patience, you should be able to find the bad part or problem. Let me know if I can help.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
By the way, here is the sequence of operation:

OPERATION SEQUENCE−
G20E SERIES (ELECTRONIC CONTROL)
1− When disconnect is closed, 120V feeds to line voltage
side of the blower control (A15). Door interlock switch
(S51) must be closed for A15 to receive voltage.
2− A15 supplies 120V to transformer (T1).
3− T1 supplies 24VAC to terminal 24" on A15. In turn,
terminal R" of A15 supplies 24VAC to terminal RC"
of the thermostat (S1).
4− When there is a call for heat, W1 of the thermostat en
ergizes W of the blower control with 24VAC.
5− CAB of the blower control energizes the damper motor
(B17) which opens the damper door. When door is in
full open position, damper prove switch (S64) closes.
6− When S64 closes, assuming the flame rollout switch
(S47) and vent safety switch (S62) are closed, 24VAC
is supplied to the TH" terminal of the electronic control
(A3).
7− Through the electronic control, the pilot valve P" of
the gas valve opens. The spark electrode ignites the
pilot and the flame sensor senses the pilot.
8− When flame is sensed the main gas valve opens and
supplies the burners with gas.
9− Terminal V" (Valve Sense) of the blower control
senses that the gas valve is energized and initiates a
45 second time delay. At the end of the 45 seconds the
blower, (B3) is energized.
10− When the heat demand has been satisfied, W1 of the
thermostat de−energizes the gas valve and damper
spring closes the damper door. As the damper door
closes, the damper prove switch opens. The blower
runs for a designated period (90−330 sec.) as set by
jumper on blower control.

As seen above, both the rollout switch and vent safety switch need to be good (and closed) for the circuit to continue. That's why I had you check the rollout switch.You should also check vent safety switch to make sure it's closed. You can do this by ohming it out if you have a multimeter or just jumping the terminals.

Edited by Tim H on 10/31/2010 at 10:47 PM EST