Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

My thermostat doesnt fire the furnace, but if I touch the

Customer Question

My thermostat doesn't fire the furnace, but if I touch the wires manually the furnace triggers. This is true for both the old thermostat and a new one.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Douglas replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I'm Douglas and I am here to help you resolve problems with your heating and cooling equipment.

Can you tell me what thermostat you have and how it's wired?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Douglas,

My heater does not fire from the thermostat. It has unreliabley done so this fall, but not at all lately. If I take the thermostats off, and touch the wires, the heater fires as desired. There are two zones with sperate thermostats in the house. I run a programable Ace LUX TX500E thermostat upstairs, and a manual one downstairs. The old mauall thermostat was a Honeywell. I installed an Ace Hardware AT10-1141SA Saturday, which made no difference. Both themostats connect to a red and white wire. One thing I noticed, and I don't know it this matters to the thermostat issue. The two zones are fired from regulators attached inline to pipes above the heater. If I touch the wires downstairs, the little paddle hits the black start button on the bottom zone regulator, and the bottom zone warms. If I touch the wires upstairs, water flows through both zones. I have reason to believe the valve on the downstairs zone regulator is stuck open.

I play a black and white Stratocaster. Good bass players are undervalued.