Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I need some help with my Quietside QVM9 boiler, had 4 plumbers

I need some help with my Quietside QVM9 boiler, had 4 plumbers look at it and knowone can give me an answer on how to fix it, had the problem from the beginning, there wasw a jumper put off thr heating flow switch input signal (it was replaced with a new one) which will make it work, but in the winter time if you are gone and do not run the hot water at lease once or twice a day it does not heat the house, if you have the summer economy switch in the on position on the thermostat it takes a long time before hot water is available for showers
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 3 years ago.

Phil :

Hi,This is risky business in the blind, not responsible for damages on your end. Click 'accept' when satisfied.. or we can get another expet

Phil :

Back in a few minutes, there is a chance we can make a few adjusments that might work while you are on vacation at least,

Customer :

What do you mean by risky business, can the circuit board be checked some way to check to see if a port has a problem? Don't want to have to replace the unit!

Phil :

Hello again, the risk varies.. sometimes its minimal, sometimes what looks minimal risk can turn out badly, for instance a person leaves their electrical panels off while working on the equipment and a baby crawls in and contacts high voltage... the unforseen etc,

Phil :

You on target seeking to get the card checked.. industry stats on this show half of them that are replaced were good cards,, and thats by service people.

Phil :

Unfortunately these cards are used in so many different ways that test equipment cannot be built economically to test all cards and it appears that at price these cards sell for retail and what we know is very very low cost from China,,, that there can be more profit in selling parts, especially these cards, then the original boiler sale.

Customer :

What are the adjustments are you talking about? Where can you get the cards and do they just plug in?

Phil :

Quietside (made in Korea by Samsung) has had an extensive history of problems.. a lot of them have been replaced for ongoing problems.. if its over 5 years old, I would not spend any money fixing it... It its newer than 5 years find your warranty papers and contact the regional distributor about parts. and a resolution to the low flow problem when you are not using hot water. thats been a bug with them for years.

Phil :

Look into age issue for me, tell me what city you are nearest I will locate a dealer or distributor for you.

Phil :

The adjustment would involve putting a tiny circulating pump 1/20th HP) in the domestic hot water loop positioned so the flow switch is inbetween, the suction side of the pump connected to a hot water line at the farthest bathroom, and the pump discarge line into a T at the cold water inlet to boiler. with a watts flow balance valve 1/2" fittings with the smallest port size they have. set at 20% flow,

Phil :

If its not a newer model though I wouldnt bother, those things have bugs running out their ears.

Phil :

Let me know, we can go from there, Phil

Customer :

It was installed in 2003, have the problems been corrected with the newer models or do they still have other problems? Would buying a new one work, don't know if there is another boiler that would work with the parts that have been installed?

Phil :

Thats an older buggy model, the over all build quality is also an issue. My recommendation dont spend any money on it, replace it entirely. Buderus makes a good one (they have been in the heating business since 1730 .. but are mostly established in the EU)

Phil :

For the US I dont like any of the 'combi' units... they have very poor water temperature controls by US standards.

Phil :

A separate hot water heater works best for domestic hot water, and those are cheap. under $500 installed for an 80% efficient unit... or a heat pump water heater for high efficiency in a water heater. AO Smith, Rheem and Triangle are all good.. Some people even us those for heating if its a modest climate, it if its colder climate, heat pumps work well and are much cheaper to run than natural gas...choice of space heating strategy varies with each situation.

Phil :

McLain is the best in small boilers.

Phil :

Let me know if you need further elaboration, Phil

Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial