Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Trane XR401 thermostat controlling my Trane Heap Pump.

I have a Trane XR401 thermostat controlling my Trane Heap Pump. During this time of year, I set the thermostat to "Auto" so as to allow it to switch to heating and cooling automatically. Sometimew when I go look at the thermostat, it has switched to off. Can anyone tell me why?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 3 years ago.

Phil :

Hi,This is risky business in the blind, not responsible for damages on your end. Click 'accept' when satisfied.. or we can get another expert.

Phil :

Unless the switch is very very loose and moves with only the faintest pressure from you, it cant move by itself.

Customer :

I know the switch cannot move or be depressed without someone moving it. What I am trying to learn is if this could be something the system does based on its programming. The heat pump and thermostat are only about 3 years old so it doesn't seem like it would be worn out. The wiring is new. I was trying to find out if the system might do this itself and then come back on after it had been off for a while.

Phil :

This switch is entirely manual,, it will not operate itself, and my guess is that it has always been manually operated in the past and has never been changing like this itself.

Phil :

is that correct?

Phil :

Is this a button you push to get an 'auto' read on the screen? or is it a manual slide switch that has lettering on it, for On OFF and Auto etc.

Phil :

If its a button you push that puts it into auto, and the auto is on the LED screen, then yes it could change by itself,,and that would be a defect in the thermostat.

Phil :

To be sure try various more extreme temperature settings to see if still changes to OFF.

Phil :

and notice the time of day it does that, or if its random.

Phil :

Get back to me, we can go from there, Phil

Customer :

Yes, this is an LED type thermostat - Trane XR401. You depress the MODE button to switch between COOL, HEAT, AUTO, OFF, EMHEAT. It indicates what setting has been selected by placing a box around the particular mode. It only started doing this in the last couple of weeks. I can set it on AUTO an then will find in on OFF. The thermostat is a non-programable model.

Phil :

The electronics in the stat are going bad.. I recommend you replace it while you still have some function before the weather gets cold.

Phil :

Let me know if you need further elaboration, Phil

Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial