BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

How do you compare the Amana, Lennox, and Westinghouse variable

How do you compare the Amana, Lennox, and Westinghouse variable speed furnaces with R410 refrigerant? I was leaning toward Amana because of the extended warranties, however, I have read a ton of bad reviews on them online tonight. HELP! Thoughts? Experiences? Also, I am trying to decide between 2.5 and 3 tons. I have an upstairs with 2 areas (family room and foyer) that are two stories. I would estimate that there are approximately 1800 sq ft upstairs. I live in North Carolina. THanks for the advice!

Given the 3 choices that you propose I would go with Lennox.

The Amana and Westinghouse are fairly good units but are known as 2nd tier manufacturers. There are so many brands and choices it is hard to decide...but furnaces are much like cars...they all do the same thing but with varying degrees of quality.

First tier companies like Carrier, Trane and Lennox are always first in product development. Nordyne, who makes Westinghouse, Tappan, Maytag, Frigidaire and Gibson try to hit a softer price point and allow dealers a little extra margin.

In short, my opinion is to go with Lennox. A 3 ton.

Edited by Billy on 10/12/2010 at 2:24 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So even if the Amana offers a much better warranty than Lennox of 10 yr parts, 10 year labor, lifetime compressor and 20 yr furnace heat exchanger (vs Lennox which is only 10 parts, 1 on labor, 10 on compressor, and 20 furnace heat exchanger), you would still go with Lennox? Thanks so much. And thanks for the clarification on the tonnage. The person trying to sell me the 2.5 ton told me to avoid 3 ton because it would start/stop and damage the motor. But my gut said that with the two story areas, increasing summer temperatures in North Carolina, and the less than optimal insulation in the former attic (now home office), that 3 tons might be better. Thanks for addressing that.

You pose an excellent question with warranty...

When the economy got soft I saw sales of first tier equipment slump...At that time I interviewed various second tier companies to hit a better price point, and reduce the models I could be "shopped" on side by side. Thats another story and why there are so many different models that are actually all the same.....

I chose a Nordyne product with a household name every knew.....the warranty was excellent and exceeded my first tier product.....then I started noticing my service records....Yes the failures were under warranty, but that doesnt make up for nuisance break downs and inconvenience. The warranty was always processed and taken care of..BUT....I was getting customers a bit peeved.

A great warranty does not make it last just covers you for the financial end. Plus the extended warranty is loaded in the product...

Example....Maytag = 10 year....same exact furnace but with Frigidaire on tag = 5 year....the price difference was the warranty.

Sooooo, to bring my rambling to an end......I would rather have a good time tested product with less warranty than finicky product with a great warranty....