Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My Empire propane wall heater model DV-55SPP just started turning

Customer Question

My Empire propane wall heater model DV-55SPP just started turning on and off at 5-10 intervals until I shut it off. I cleaned out the gas orifice with a sewing needle and shop vacuumed it. I then turned it on, turned the thermostat and it ran okay. It is in my cabin in northern Michigan's upper penninusla and left on all winter on the lowest thermostat setting. During the winter there, it is very cold so it turns on and off alot during a 24 hr cycle but nothing like it did. The furnace is 15 years old. Should I leave it alon and see how it works, change the thermocouple or try something else. I have never had it serviced, I just vacuum and oil fan motor.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rickheatdoc :

The most likely cause of what you describe would be a short in the thermostat circuit or perhaps in the gas valve itself. You may have inadvertently corrected it when you cleaned. I would just keep an eye on it for now. If it doesn't act up then it's probably OK. It would be tough to pin down the cause if the problem is intermittent, it's next to impossible if it doesn't act up

Customer :

I didn't put down that the intervals were in seconds, not minutes, so that it turned on and off very rapidly, enouhg to wake me up at 1:30 am. Same answer? Would the gas valve you mention be the one in the unit itself?

Rickheatdoc :

Yes the gas valve is the one in the unit itself. Your clarification does open up a few more possibilities. You could also have a faulty limit switch/sensor or a failing thermopile (similar to a thermocouple). If my memory is accurate you unit has a thermopile (2 wires from it connecting to the gas valve where a thermocouple would have one bare copper wire). But the intermittent problem issue remains

Customer :

thank you

Rickheatdoc :

Thanks for using Just Answer

Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience: 40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.