Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE

What are the required settings for a Rheem 200 series programmable

What are the required settings for a Rheem 200 series programmable thermostat for a Rheem RPQL-048 JEZ 4.0 Ton Heat Pump?
Hi, I'm Douglas and I am here to help you resolve problems with your heating and cooling equipment.

Before we look at too much with the thermostat.... is the indoor blower on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, both the air handler and the outside unit are working.
OK... so I am clear... do you have the model number of the thermostat or just 200 series?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Model # XXXXX - I believe...
ok. thanks.. one second.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No problem. As an FYI. I do not understand the MS 2 default with sub-categories of SS1, HP2, HP1.

In the configuration menu... press system button so system is OFF, then press the up and down arrows simoultaniously. Once in the menu, use the system button to advance and the up and down arrows to change setting

1.... set to HP1 (This means single stage heat pump which is what you have).
2.... this is up to you, this is regarding program periods...
3... EMR to On
4... FA
5... CL off
6... CDL (backlight, choose on or off)
7... Off
8... Filter time.... you can set this where you want... it's in fan hour run time

Really the main one is number 1...

It may be easier if I send you the manual and answer specific instructions...
Click Here
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have the manual and I have been playing with the various configurations. I will try these setting and BRB...
OK... HP1. Keep in mind, when you are done, you need to put it back into the heating or cooling mode and then call for heat or cool by lowering or raising the thermostat setting. There may be a 5 minute time delay.

If the indoor section runs, but not the outdoor section, you may have to take the control box cover off the outdoor unit and check for a fault code on the 7 segment LED.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I had the setting on HP1 so I am not sure this will fix my problem. I will do as you state above regarding heating / cooling - right now I have had it in "Cooling" mode. I am in Orlando, Fl. The inside temp has remained at 83 since about 5:00 PM and I have the thermostat set at 78. I have checked several times and both the inside and outside units are working. I will accept your answer now since I am not sure what else we can do.

No... lets not do that just yet

Can you take the big cover off the outdoor unit?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I just went through the settings on the thermostat again. Yes, I can take the cover off but what do I look for then? Also I believe the unit is still under warranty. The people who installed the unit didn't answer the phone when I call - after 6:00 PM so I can call in the morning???

You can. If you want, you can try cycling the power to the indoor air handler. If, there is a fault with the outdoor unit, this will reset it.

If you take the cover off the outdoor unit (the service end), you will see a control box with another cover on it, take that cover off and look in the lower right corner of the lower board to see what the board is displaying.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll give it a try. BRB
ok takes a 1/4 nut driver or a flat head to get the 2 screws out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, have the control panel exposed. The 7-Segment LED is displaying a solid "C". Also there is a solid red light "Y1" which indicates a call for unit operation from the thermostat... The is another red light on but I can not determine what that light indicates.
ok... that C is what I was looking for, it means there are no faults. You can button it back up.

So now the question still remains, but if this was installed within the past 12 months, I would not suggest getting into it any further. It's covered under the installers warranty.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was installed about 11 months ago so I am covered. Thanks for the help.
sorry, I couldnt help you get it cooling better but I dont want to void your warranty
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No problem, thanks...
You're welcome