Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.

my old thermostat that Im replacing has 6 wires labled W,

my old thermostat that I'm replacing has 6 wires labled W, O, G , R, C, Y
O was light red color , C was brown. The new thermastat I bought is a Honeywell RTH6350D. the wiring for the heat pump on page 25 does not explain what to do with the C or O wire. I put the O wire on AUX and left C wire off. but my heat pump is not working.
anY ideas?
Thanks for the help Gary
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Tim H :

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! Move the "O" wire (light red) to O/B on new stat. Tape the C wire and don't use.

Tim H :

RU there?

Customer :

yes

Tim H :

Just wanted to check, Sometimes customers appear to be online, but aren't

Tim H :

Try moving the light red "O" wire to O/B on the new stat. You shouldn't need the C wire

Customer :

Thats what I have the light red wire (actually orange) is on the O/B terminal and C is not hooked up. Is white wire suppose to be on the Aux terminal?

Customer :

it seems like I have it wired right . the unit was working fine prior to changing t-stat. I was just upgrading to a better programable t-stat.

Tim H :

Is it not working correctly now?

Customer :

No , doesn't seem to be cooling

Tim H :

You may need to change the function of the O/B terminal. Some units energize the reversing valve for cooling. This is done in the setup menu

Customer :

how do I do that? I pretty sure this heat pump use a reversing valve

Tim H :

I'm having trouble finding the installer or setup instructions online, but you should have received this with your thermostat.

Customer :

I found the setup mode and made the changes. it takes 5 minutes to reset conpressor. Hopefully that will do it

Tim H :

If not, view this video I found on changing a heat pump thermostat. Very good. Click here

Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
I switched to Q and A mode, but am still available later for follow up questions. Good night.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.