Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

my old thermostat that Im replacing has 6 wires labled W,

my old thermostat that I'm replacing has 6 wires labled W, O, G , R, C, Y
O was light red color , C was brown. The new thermastat I bought is a Honeywell RTH6350D. the wiring for the heat pump on page 25 does not explain what to do with the C or O wire. I put the O wire on AUX and left C wire off. but my heat pump is not working.
anY ideas?
Thanks for the help Gary
Chat Conversation Started
Tim H :

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! Move the "O" wire (light red) to O/B on new stat. Tape the C wire and don't use.

Tim H :

RU there?

JACUSTOMER-tfnxc8a9- :

yes

Tim H :

Just wanted to check, Sometimes customers appear to be online, but aren't

Tim H :

Try moving the light red "O" wire to O/B on the new stat. You shouldn't need the C wire

JACUSTOMER-tfnxc8a9- :

Thats what I have the light red wire (actually orange) is on the O/B terminal and C is not hooked up. Is white wire suppose to be on the Aux terminal?

JACUSTOMER-tfnxc8a9- :

it seems like I have it wired right . the unit was working fine prior to changing t-stat. I was just upgrading to a better programable t-stat.

Tim H :

Is it not working correctly now?

JACUSTOMER-tfnxc8a9- :

No , doesn't seem to be cooling

Tim H :

You may need to change the function of the O/B terminal. Some units energize the reversing valve for cooling. This is done in the setup menu

JACUSTOMER-tfnxc8a9- :

how do I do that? I pretty sure this heat pump use a reversing valve

Tim H :

I'm having trouble finding the installer or setup instructions online, but you should have received this with your thermostat.

JACUSTOMER-tfnxc8a9- :

I found the setup mode and made the changes. it takes 5 minutes to reset conpressor. Hopefully that will do it

Tim H :

If not, view this video I found on changing a heat pump thermostat. Very good. Click here

I switched to Q and A mode, but am still available later for follow up questions. Good night.