Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

I have a jotul allagash propane stove. The pilot light will

I have a jotul allagash propane stove. The pilot light will not stay lit. I changed the thermocouple and it still will not stay lit. I have held the pilot knob in for 2 min and then released and no go.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Rickheatdoc :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rickheatdoc :

If you have replaced the thermopile and it is positioned properly and the connection to the gas control valve is tight then you may have a faulty gas control valve. Only the top 1/4 to 1/3 of the thermopile should be in the pilot flame.

Customer :

I replaced the thermocouple not the thermopile. I was under the impression that it is the thermocouple that keeps the pilot lit.

Rickheatdoc :

Are there 2 wires coming from your thermocouple?

Customer :

no there is one copper line coming from the thermocouple

Customer :

looks similar to this

Rickheatdoc :

Ok, then it's a thermocouple. Same answer applies whether it's a thermopile or thermocouple. The thermocouple senses the pilot flame and generates a very small electrical current that tell the gas control valve that the pilot is lit. If you have replaced the thermocouple and the pilot still goes out when you release the pilot light button then the most likely explanation is that the gas control valve is faulty.

Rickheatdoc :

Please read the above answer. I know what a thermocouple looks like

Customer :

thanks. Just wanted to make sure I was explaining it correctly

Customer :

Do you have a link on how to replace the gas control valve and/or where to buy one?

Rickheatdoc :

There are no links on replacing the gas valve since it is a job for a qualified gas service tech. Replacing the thermocouple is something a talented DIYer could handle. Replacing a gas valve not so much.

Customer :

thank you

Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience: 40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.