Matthew, HVAC Technician
Experience:  14 years experience in the HVAC field of service, installation, Manual J & D calculations

Electric furnace blower runs continuously. How do I fix it?

My electric furnace blower runs constantly. What do I check first?

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Matthew replied 6 years ago.

Matthew :

Hello. The blower relay is stuck. You need a new one.

Or your green thermostat wire is touching the red thermostat wire somewhere from point A the thermostat to point B the furnace.

If you take the green wire off at the furnace and the blower shuts down it's the wire or the thermostat, if it continues to run then it's this relay.

Customer :

OK. I'll try this when it happens gain. It does not do it all the time. When it does, it is in the heat mode

Matthew :

It's the relay

Customer :

OK thanks..

Matthew :

This relay is sent voltage when the heat kicks in through the sequencer from the heat strips.

Second though if it only does it in heat it could be the sequencer is getting stuck and not the relay. They are around 20 dollars each so it may be best to just change both out. I'll send you a picture of the sequencer.

Customer :
Can I confirm this by lifting a wire from the sequencer?
Matthew :

Yeah you have to find the wire that goes from this sequencer to the blower relay (the first picture I sent you). If you pull this wire off and the blower goes off then it's the sequencer that is stuck and is sending voltage. If it doesn't go off then it is the blower relay that is stuck. This is risky to do though you are messing with 120v so be very very careful.

Customer :

OK, thanks for your help..