Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Problem I have the 12ACB60-3p Lennox Unit that is 12 years

Problem: I have the 12ACB60-3p Lennox Unit that is 12 years old. I recently started having problems with the coils "freezing" over as per my AC guy. Water has been collecting in the tray and dripping out of the flow pipes outside the house. He has also had to add freon on three seperate occassions. He advised that he would need to replace the coils at about $1,600.

Question: Is this the actual problem and if so is it worth replacing the coils or should I replace the whole AC system?
Chat Conversation Started
Phil :

Hi,This is risky business in the blind, not responsible for damages on your end. Click 'accept' when satisfied.. or we can get another expert.

Phil :

The coils is worth about $250 wholesale, its half day max to change it out.

Phil :

He should fix the leak, and charge the unit... you should keep keep clean air fiters in it...if tis older, open up the cooling coil casing by removing 6 screws on the front and accessing the upstream side of the coil and use a green fin comb to clean the coil... your hvac guy can sell you his for 10 dollars or so.

Phil :

Let me know if you need further elaboration, we can go from there, Phil

JACUSTOMER-bdwa67a2- :

Phil,

The gentalman wanted to charge 1500 for the coil and work. I was wondering if I should replace the whole system as it is a 5 ton AC that is a SEER 12 and 12 years old. How many more years of life should it have and what would an average price be for the system?

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! The $1500 sounds about right (maybe a bit high), but this is most likely an R22 system which are phasing out. With the lower SEER rating and the cost of the repair, in my opinion, your money might be better spent in replacing entire system with a new R410A system. There are local rebates and a Federal tax credit if you get into the higher SEER ratings which should help pay for the system.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.