BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have model # 41vrp50n Rheem PowerVent 2.my water heater will

Customer Question

I have model # XXXXX Rheem PowerVent 2.my water heater will not light. I can hear the the ignitor clicking. After several attempts the thermostat flashes the code that maximum ignition attempts have been reached. Un-plugging then plugging back in used to work, but now does not. I would like to repair this myself. Could you please tell me how and what part you think I will need. I heard thermocouple but thought I would ask you
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

The big deciding factor will be if the pilot is lighting or not....can you tell if the pilot actually lights or not?

JACUSTOMER-el5tnqy6- :

i havn't taken the plate off. wasn't sure if i should

JACUSTOMER-el5tnqy6- :

no the pilot is not lighting

JACUSTOMER-el5tnqy6- :

ignitor is just clicking.

Billy :

Ok...here is a chance....turn power off....remove panel...in the pilot assembly is a metal rod. We want to get that rod cleaned off ...I even had one customer reach in with a stick with steel wool on it and clean the sensor. Whether removed..reaching in..using a stick..etc...the goal is to get the sensor cleaned off

JACUSTOMER-el5tnqy6- :

there is a tube that goes in next to the ignitor is that safe to disconnect?

Billy :

yes

Billy :

as long as power is off

JACUSTOMER-el5tnqy6- :

so am i cleaning the ignitor or the thermocouple?

Billy :

flame sensor/thermo

JACUSTOMER-el5tnqy6- :

I am sorry. I guess I should have rated the importance higher. I am watching utube. Thank you for your info

Billy :

so is this closed now?