gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

Carrier WeatherMaker 9200 - error code 33. Blower motor and

Customer Question

Carrier WeatherMaker 9200 - error code 33. Blower motor and capacitor are new and working. When I switch the power ON to the furnace, I hear a click, the blower motor kicks on and the error code 33 initiates. Nothing else happens. Gas is on. Filter and return air are clean. Blower wheel is tight. So what's left:
- Defective switch or connections.
- Inadequate Combustion air supply Flame Roll-out Switch or fuse link.
- Open Flame Roll-out switch,or fuse link. Manual reset or replace.
How do I verify which of these is the problem?
Thanks!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
gotoman for ac :

Check rollout switches for reset. vef unit went out on limit . It is a fuse link or limit. Do you have and ohm meter. Russ

Customer :

I do have an ohm meter with buzzer, x1K, x10 and x1. What should I check?

gotoman for ac :

The fusable links f

gotoman for ac :

The fusable links first. Just remove wires and ohm across. Do same to rollout switch. Check blower compartment. There is a limit switch there also. Russ

Customer :

checking...

Customer :

Hmmm... seems to be good ohms accross all switches and fuses???

Customer :

However, for the first time, for whatever reason, the furnace began to initiate the whole startup process and the error code went away for about 20 seconds. then it returned to the initial state with 33 and just blower motor.

gotoman for ac :

Check limit above burners. Jump two wires together and check operation. Do not leave it this way. Russ

Customer :

Tried - no go.

gotoman for ac :

Jumper across all rollout switches and try. They will get alittle corroded sometimes. Russ

Customer :

still no go.

gotoman for ac :

I have to leave so I will opt and turn you over to great expert. Russ

Customer :

thx for your help.

Customer :

What about the pressure switch? Or maybe the thermostat controls... or... 24V transformer???

Customer :

I'm grasping at straws.

gotoman for ac :

Doublecheck fault diagnostic code and let me know what chart says. Russ

Customer :

Code 33: LIMIT OR FLAME ROLL-OUT SWITCH IS OPEN - If open longer than three minutes, code
changes to #13. Check for:
- Defective blower motor or start capacitor. - Dirty filter or restricted duct system.
- Loose blower wheel. - Defective switch or connections.

gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience: 51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.
Do you have trhe full model number of the furnace? Will be inside near the burner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm at work now - will get it when I return home in a few hours...
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.

Ok when you get there set the stat to call for heat. Go to the furnace turn the switch off for few seconds then back on. Note exactly what happens.

Does the draft inducer start?

Does the ingnitor glow?

Does the main burner come on?

Does the blower start?

Edited by Bart Jay on 9/13/2010 at 3:14 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

will do - thanks....

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Bart Jay - when I got home, i went back and double checked everything that expert GoToMan suggested and this time found that when I jumped the Flame Rollout Switch, everything worked! I paid GoToMan. No all I have to do is buy a new switch and install it. Thanks for your attempt to help too.
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.

Just be sure that the switch is bad and not opne because the flame DID/ IS rolling out

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again - actually I mis-identified it... it was the limit switch, not flame rollout.
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 4 years ago.

same thing be sure the unit is not overheating for some reason

Safety First

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will do, thanks!
Thanks for feed back. Just check everything . Russ