Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

My outdoor Trane 2 1/2 ton 11 SEER heat pump compressor went

Customer Question

My outdoor Trane 2 1/2 ton 11 SEER heat pump compressor went out this spring. Dealer replaced outdoor unit with a 13 SEER 2 1/2 ton Goodman. He said this would work with my Trane 2 1/2 ton indoor unit.
Problem: When the thermostat calls for the unit to come on, the indoor unit comes on and the outdoor units fan "only" comes on for about 3 - 5 minutes before the compressor comes on. My duct work is in the attic, so in the Southeast it gets pretty warm up there , so the system is blowing warm are all that time before the compressor comes on...
My dealer tech says that's the way they make them now in order to save the compressor and there is nothing he can do........I find this hard to believe........What is your take on this issue and what do you recommend?
Thanks
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Phil :

Hi,This is risky business in the blind, not responsible for damages on your end. Click 'accept' when satisfied.. or we can get another expect.

Customer :

that's the answer to my problem?? don't understand

Phil :

That delay is built into the Goodman unit and most others these days, it is intended to prevent short cycling the unit... that timer though is likely adjustable and can be set for maybe 1 or 2 minutes, that may suit you better... most are adjustable.. if its not, depending on which control card is in place, a new timer can be fit that is adjustable.. those cost about $20 wholesale.

Phil :

and take a few minutes to install.

Phil :

There is delay in getting your answer while I type it up. You should have it now..

Phil :

However if you need more elaboration I can provide that, the answer ends when you are satisfied with it.. not before. Let me know, we can continue.

Customer :

where can I find a schmatic to show the timer? would it be a manual timer within the access area?

Phil :

That will be on a diagram glued to the inside of the units electrical panel cover... it will be shown as TDR.

Phil :

Its an electric timer, 24volts, usually with a knob on the from, marked in minutes or seconds.. if thats the case..first notice its current setting.. in this case the 4 or 5 minutes you mentioned, then with that as a reference set it back a bit.

Phil :

However if you set it back so there is insufficient time delay the unit can short cycle and damage the compressor.

Phil :

I wouldnt set it for less than 1 minute.

Customer :

wow! catch 22........unit is under warranty.......dealer says he does not know of a way!!! surely he is not truthful.........the Goodman call center says the compressor should come on immediately.....................!!

Phil :

If you dont find the TDR, it would be built into the units control card..and may not be adjustable. (the mfgrs change these arrangements frequently, the diagram will show which)

Customer :

I will look for timer and set for 1-2 minutes...if it is a manual..

Phil :

Thats interesting, if the start delay repeats, and repeats, then there IS a timer...

Phil :

it would not be uncommon for someone at a call center to be unaware of such a detail... although many units are built without a time delay relay..Goodman included.

Phil :

Re the warranty.. IF the call center is right about no TDR, and the unit is under warranty. they might come out and look at it no charge... or find indeed it does have a timer, at the unit or somewhere else in the system (that would be very unusual) and charge you for the service call.

Phil :

My advice check the time on the time delay and if its constant. there IS a timer somewhere. Heat pumps most comonly have timers... it is cooling only units that sometimes do not.

Customer :

OK, I will check it out....ty

Phil :

Stay in touch, we can go from whatever you discover regarding a timer or not. Virtually all heat pumps have one or more timers however.

Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Phil, after haggleing with the dealer and having them to continue to come out. They put new release valve on the trane indoor unit, this helped to release the pressure more quickly but the delay was still around 10 minutes. They then installed a hard start on the outdoor unit. This corrected the problem.

Expert:  Phil replied 3 years ago.

Wonderful... thanks for getting back to me, Phil