Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.

What is the average life expectancy for Trane compressors and

What is the average life expectancy for Trane compressors and TXV? I had both replaced recently on my five year old XL14i (R-410A) The labor only for the repairs was 2000.00. The parts were still under warranty. Is it reasonable that both of these would fail at the same time? I live in Phoenix, so the temps can be extreme in the summer. The technician seemed vague about how he pinned these conclusions down.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! The life expectancy for compressors is based on a lot of factors: maintenance of unit, how it was originally installed (charged properly, etc), load over the years (how much unit runs), type of compressor, etc. Under average conditions I would expect a compressor to last 15 years. Typically I haven't seen a lot of TXV's go bad although it can happen. The labor of $2000 seems a bit excessive for what should have been a 3-4 hour job.