Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Problem with CKL36-1K. When thermostat kicks on, It sounds

Problem with CKL36-1K. When thermostat kicks on, It sounds like it is going to run and then gets louder and louder finaly resulting in a screaching like noise. Seems like it is getting realy hot. The fan is not kicking on. Any ideas on what the problem is? Thanks, Mike
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

so indoor fan runs and out door unit compressor runs but fan in top of outdoor unit does not?

Customer :

Indoor fan runs. Fan outside on top of unit does not.

Customer :

Compressor kicks on and then gets real noisy and squeels like.

Billy :

Thank you....when it does this, have you tried to move the fan blade to get it moving?

Customer :

Let me run out and try it right now.

Customer :

Fan started to turn but does not seem to be running as fast as usual

Billy :

let me know if it tries to run or if it feels stiff and resistant

Customer :

Fan spins freely.

Customer :

Fan not running as fast as normal it seems

Billy :

This is a sign of a bad capacitor. Track the wires to an oval or round cylinder..it is about 4 inches tall. This is most likely the culprit. You can turn off power...mark wires...take to a cooling shop and get a new one.

Customer :

Are they universal

Customer :

Do they sell these at Lowes or Home Depot?

Billy :

They have set values in microfarads so you have to match them. Home improvement stores will not have them. It will need to come from a heating/cooling shop, motor repair, Graingers etc

Customer :

I understand.

Customer :

Will it hurt to hose off the fins from the outside with water while the unit is running?

Customer :

How sure are you that this is the problem?

Billy :

no it will not...I have actually used a sprinkler in a pinch to cool a condenser when the fan was bad....it just gets really messy though.

Billy :

I am pretty confident that the capacitor is your issue

Customer :

Figured they could use a cleaning while I'm messing with this

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics