gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

trying to install a honeywell thermostat model RTH2510. we

trying to install a honeywell thermostat model RTH2510. we have a janitrol heat/AC - central heat and air with a heat pump. the air conditioner is not kicking on and all the wires are connected. it worked yesterday all day and then today it is not kicking on. we just put on the old thermostat and the system is working fine now. seems like we are hooking up the new thermostat incorrectly.
Chat Conversation Started
gotoman for ac :

What are your terminals and wire colors on new tstat. Russ

Customer :

My current wire colors are yellow, green, orange, red, white, brown and blue. The terminals on the new system are O/B Y R G W/AUX

gotoman for ac :

Red to R Yellow to Y Orange to O White to AUX Green to G You do not need brown or blue tape of seperately. Need to go into set up and set up fro heat pump. Russ

Customer :

ok so dont need brown? The manual had said that if you have an E wire, which is the brown wire for me, to put it together with the white wire in the aux slot. By doing this will it solve the problem of my air conditioning not turning on?

gotoman for ac :

No it will not. The brown and white are together at air handler. Did you program unit and gointo installer set up. Russ

Customer :

After installing the system I went into system setup and set it up for heat pump system with aux/backup heat (2H1C)

gotoman for ac :

After you did this nothing worked. Russ

Customer :

It worked for about 12 hours then it turned off. Then the only thing that would turn on is the fan but not the air conditioner. Then as soon as I put the old unit on it worked fine.

gotoman for ac :

Thanks for great info by the way. You wired it correctly. You may have a bad thermostat. It happens not often but it happens. Russ

Customer :

one last question for you concerning the Jumper connections on the back

gotoman for ac :

Go ahead. Russ

Customer :

On the back of the unit, their are two jumper connections. JP1 controls the heating fan control and JP2 controls the heat pump reversing valve. Both terminals have 3 pins with a black plastic cap covering two of the three pins on each connection. Above the JP1 there are tghe letters HG and HE. The manual says set JP1 on the back of the thermostat if you have connected a wire to the G terminal. HG- Leave the jumper in this factory set position if you have a gas or oil furnace. HE- Place the jumper to this position if you have an electric furnace. So what I did was place the plastic covering over the two pins underneath HE because the factory setting had it over the HG position. Could this be the problem?

gotoman for ac :

No that jumper is for units with electric heat that has to energize fan to have heat to work. You no what you are doing on wiring you just have a bad thermostat. Thanks you ask the right questions. Russ

Customer :

alright thanks for the help