Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

The drip pan under the evaporator coils on my central air system

The drip pan under the evaporator coils on my central air system was cracked and leaking. It was cracked where the the drain pipe connects to it. I was investigating the leak and accidentally broke it off. It now drips outside the unit, flows under the furnace and to the drain. Before I broke it, it was dripping down through the furnace to the floor. My question is this: Is it possible for my furnace to survive the water leaking down through it or is it doomed? It is an older furnace (20+ years). I'd like to be able to get one more winter out of it. Thoughts? I'm afraid if I call someone out to inspect it, they will see that it is old and be not so truthful about it and tell me I need to replace it.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

Hello

Billy :

This should not be an issue unless it actually dripped into the electrical section

Billy :

Many 90% Bryant and Carrier units worked with a lot of water damage

Billy :

As long as the circuit board and gas valve area remain dry you should be fine

Customer :

Ok. This is a 1980 model #58SS100-BC. Would you suggest I get it inspected before winter?

Customer :

Also, is the drain pan model # XXXXX brand specific? Is this something I can buy and replace myself? If so, where should I look for the pan?

Billy :

An inspection is always good before the heating season. The drain pan, if only broken at the fitting can be siliconed back in place. If you are looking to replace the drain pan, it may prove to be costly.

Most repairs on older models are inflated to a "comfortable" dealer level to make a new furnace look more appealing. If you attempt your self, it depends on the particular install as to the level of of difficulty.

Some even require removal of the evaporator which involes pump down of refrigerant

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics