gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC

furnace blower will not turn on. It sounds as if it want to

furnace blower will not turn on. It sounds as if it wan't to start but doesn't.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
gotoman for ac :

Open blower door and see if motor spins OK. Next check fan capacitor, It will be silver or grey connected to blower housing. See if it is a little swollen or puffy. Russ

Customer :

motor seems to spin ok. no noise and seems smooth when spun. Capacitor does not appear swollen.

gotoman for ac :

If motor is trying to start it is capacitor or motor. Replace cap. first if motor is bad you would have to replace anyway. Russ

Customer :

Ok, but so I don't have to run out twice. Is there a way to check if the capacitor is bad?

gotoman for ac :

Not unless you have a meter that checks capacitance. Just take cap with you and have it checked. Russ

Customer :

I replaced the capacitor and the issue continues.

gotoman for ac :

Does motor grind and to start. Russ

Customer :

No it does not grind, just buzzes and does not start. I turn the blower by hand and it seems smooth. When I changed the capacitor it just buzzed and I turned it by hand and slowly took off spinning.

gotoman for ac :

Do you have a voltmeter. Russ

Customer :

yes

gotoman for ac :

You need to check the wires going to motor to make sure you have power to motor. Best way is with amp probe but volt meter will do. This is last test. If you have 120 to motor ,motor is bad. It can spin but bearing can still be bad. Use the new cap. you would have to change it anyway. Your info is very good. Russ

Customer :

I measured it and it peaked around 145v and it slowly spun up. I measured it a second time and again it peaked around 145v and it did not spin up.

gotoman for ac :

Bad fan motor. You give great info. It is hard to diagnos a bad fan motor over internet but you make it easy. Russ

gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience: 51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC