Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years experience, HVAC
12095340

Hi, we have a tempstar smart comfort 2000 air conditioning

Hi, we have a tempstar smart comfort 2000 air conditioning unit. we live outside of Denver Co. We have a 2900 square foot home. Our unit continues to freeze up if we set the temperature below 74 degrees, but we have to just to try and cool the upper floor with all of our ceiling fans on full blast. The unit is also very loud when on. What is the problem? We think the guy who sold it to us sold us too small a unit for our home???
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Rick Mather :

If unit is freezing up it a sign that unit has not enough air flow across air coil, it needs 400 cfm per ton

Customer:

I am sorry, but i am not sure what this means? How do I get more air flow across the air coil? Where is the air coil? and what does 400 cfm mean? The builder put the pad that the air conditioner sits on in the corner so their are two outside walls that frame the airconditioner, should it be moved?

Rick Mather :

The inside unit is called the evaporator and it needs 400 cubic feet minute to be able to fuction properly if the builder short changed this it will freeze up

Customer:

is there a particular air filter you recommend for maximum air flow over the coils. would having the air ducts blown help?

Rick Mather :

A pleated one will works the best either 1" thick or 2" thick if it will fit your unit. the duct work will work better clean but if its short its going to always be a problem

Customer:

So sorry only one more question, who do I call to get the air duct length problem fixed or how do I fix it? I am a mom, so it's up to me to figure this out. Thank you for your time so very much.

Rick Mather :

Hire a good HVAC company to do a heat gain calc. that will determine the size unit needed to cool your house properly. Once you know the proper size then you design duct work to match the size unit you need. But in your case your duct work will have to be evaluted for proper size

Customer:

Thank you very much, I will call to have the unit evaluated. You have been so helpful. Have a blessed day.

Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience: 35 years experience, HVAC