Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE

AC unit is blowing cool air from vents but not cooling the

AC unit is blowing cool air from vents but not cooling the house..its about 7 years old...local tech says in need a new one...would like to know obvious things to double check that might be wrong before comittiing to new unite
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Douglas replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Douglas :

Hi, I'm Douglas and I am here to help you resolve problems with your heating and cooling equipment.

Douglas :

Your tech needs to tell you why you need a new one. 7 years is hardly the life of a AC system. I mean to say, is it leaking, does the compressor have a bad valve, did the load change and you need more capacity.... Did he actually check the output capacity? (most techs dont have a clue how to do this). Did he measure the airflow? (another lost art). I am wondering if this particular tech is either in over his head or on commission. I dont know him from Adam but I suspect it might be worth getting another set of eyes on it.