Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

My furnace keeps blowing fuses. My house is 50 years old and

Customer Question

My furnace keeps blowing fuses. My house is 50 years old and the furnace is about 30 yrs old. I bought it (house) 4 yrs ago and had central air put in as part of the purchase price. I am pretty sure that I had the blower motor replaced (wintertime) and now when I try to put in either 25 or 30 fuse it just had a little explosion. Before, I would shut off the whole breaker...put in the fuse and then turn on the breaker. Then it (central air) would work for maybe 1/2 a day then shut off again. Farmer's union charged me $102.00 to change the fuse about 10 days ago and it's already out again. The small electrical storm is scaring me so I don't want to try to keep shoving fuses in but we are roasting and I can't keep paying to get it "fixed". I just had my house weatherized (by state as I am low income) and the man said that the furnace was working fine. This was in early june. Do I need to get new furnace? Is my CA too new for it? Is there something I can do to fix it or will I continue to have problems in the winter? It is a propane furnace but my CA is electric or so I am told. I can get more information when I get off work about the type and what not.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Rick :

Rick :

My suggestion would be to install a new furnace. Putting more money into a 30 year old unit is probably not cost effective not to mention the new furnace will save you money in the long run.

Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.