Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician
Experience:  18 years of experience, NATE Certified, Licensed HVAC Contractor, Certified IAQ Specialist

trane TUH1B080A9421A 95 PLUS SINGLE STAGE FURNACE vs. trane

trane TUH1B080A9421A 95 PLUS SINGLE STAGE FURNACE    vs.
live in northern michigan - keep the heat about 60 in the winter 1800 sq. 2 story 100 year old home. spend most of our at home time in a small room heated by electric heat.
pro's and con's of each unit would be helpful
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Regan Land replied 6 years ago.

Hello. Welcome to My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be happy to assist you today.

Given that you don't use the central heat too much, the single stage furnace will be fine.

The pros for upgrading to the 2-stage would be reduced gas consumption and quieter operation when the system is running. You will also have improved efficiencies on the cooling side if you have air conditioning or plan to add it in the future.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is it true that the 2 stage will use less electricity than the single stage? the price difference with the rebates is about 500.00
It is true that the variable speed blower is more efficient than a multi-speed motor. It will likely take ~5 years to pay back the additional $500 in savings in gas and electricity. It may be worth it to go for the 2-stage if it's only $500 over the single stage.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

what brand furance do you have in your home? is trane a good /reliable brand.

I have a Lennox that I installed 2 years ago. Trane is an excellent brand, but sometimes a bit pricey as they are very proud of their name. Trane, Lennox, & Carrier are typically considered the "Big 3".