gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC

My Tempstar central air conditioner keeps turning itself off

My Tempstar central air conditioner keeps turning itself off and then not coming back on. I have my new thermastat set at 75 and it will get up to 81 degrees and the air will not come on. The thermastat has been replaced. It also is not pulling the humidity out of my home. When it is running it is so damp and humid that the wood floors feel sticky and so does the furniture even though it will register 75 degrees. I have had the gentleman that installed it come back 3 or 4 times and he doesn't have any idea what is wrong. He said that in his 45 years of service he has never heard of this. The unit is less than 1 year old. Please help me! The furnace is pretty old.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
gotoman for ac :

The one of the reasons it would not pull humididty is if unit is to big and not running long enough. Has the tech found out why the unit cuts off. Russ

Customer:

No he hasn't. It seems to stay running if I leave the fan on constantly and not put it on automatic but the humidity problem has us stumped. I am calling him again this morning. Maybe we can get some more info then.

gotoman for ac :

There are checks he can make wet bulb and dry bulb readings. What is the size of your house and size of unit. I will be out for a few hours but I will reply back. Russ

Customer:

It is a 1 and 0ne half ton unit and my total square footage is 700 square feet. It is a one bedroom condo apartment on the second floor of a three story building. He says that all the other 1 bedroom apartments have that size of unit. He has tried the wet bulb dry bulb readings. He set the furnace on the lowest speed today to see if that will help to keep it from cutting out and not coming back on when it should. He held a temp thing in the cold air return and said that he was going to add some refridgerant to the conditioner. He just went back up to the roof to do that. I still don't see that that will fix the humidity problem. Of course it is Nebraska and one of the humidest seasons and year! We are just so puzzled. He has gone home for the day aqand is coming back tommorrow afternoon.

gotoman for ac :

What concerns me is that the unit shuts off for so long. It should maintain within 2 degrees. Are the condo above and below vacant or occupied Russ

gotoman for ac :

are you still having problems Russ

Customer:

I think we may have found the problem with the humidity. The A/C in the unit above me was not draining into the proper drain pipe but was draining onto the floor. It was leaking into my furnace area down a back wall that we could not see. It eventually soaked the wall around to the side where we could see it. My A/C couldn't keep up with all that moisture! We fixed his unit above me and my wall is finally drying out . Fans going on it all the time. Humidity is getting better.

Customer:

As for the A/C cutting off, we have turned the blower down on the furnace to low to see if that helps. Thanks so much for all your input.

gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience: 51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC