Tom
Tom, HVAC Technician
Experience:  16+yrs HVAC/R service. Residential Commerical Industrial

i have an braeburn 3200 digital thermostat in my house. Had

Customer Question

i have an braeburn 3200 digital thermostat in my house. Had no problems until today. It has shut off, n0 display or nothing. A family friend came over with a voltage detector, and check power on unit under house, fuse looked great and was showing full power, then we checked power to heat pump also showing full power, checked power on thermostat also showed correct voltage. Flipped breakers on and off no change. Its obviously in the thermostat itself, please i need some suggestions, its 95 degrees here and we have three small children in the home.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Joan-Mod replied 4 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m a Moderator for JustAnswer.
Thanks for your question!
I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet.
I will go ahead and try to find an Expert to assist you with your question and appreciate your patience. You will recieve an email notification when an Expert replies to you, just as you did here.
Please do not reply to this message unless you do not need further help. If that is the case, please let me know and I can assist you with that.
Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also. :)
If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

Best,
Joan
Moderator
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
So you're getting 24 volts at the thermostat?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Im actually getting 60.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.

If you check from Rh/Rc to C you should only be getting 24 to 27 volts.

If you connect Rh/Rc to Y (bypassing thermostat) you should get it to cool.

If you're truly getting 60 volts something is wrong. What terminals where you checking across?

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All of them.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.

The control transformer in the furnace should only be putting out 24 volts. I'm wondering if it damaged your thermostat.

R is the 24 volt 'hot' lead from the transformer,usually colored red. From R to any other terminal should be 24 - 27 volts.

I wouldn't hook up another transformer until you figure out what's going on with that one. This is a pretty unusual problem.

Generally when a tranformer goes it goes open circuit and it's done. A high voltage is almost unheard of.

Double check your meter to make sure it's not doing somthing wacky. Then I would verify voltages right at the terminal strip in the furnace unit. R to C should only be 24 volts.

If it's more it's possible it's done damage to the control board also.

Tom