Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years experience, HVAC

I have a carrier air conditioning unit (model 38TG036310).

Customer Question

I have a carrier air conditioning unit (model 38TG036310). It is not cooling properly. Our service professional looked at the unit and replaced te "supper capacitor." We are still not getting the proper cooling. Our home is roughly 4400 sq ft of cooling space - we have two units - one for the main floor/basement and one for the second floor. It is the first floor unit that is causing problems.

Is the next logical step to replace the unit? If so, what should we replace it with and how much can we expect to cost to replace it (ballpark figure)?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 6 years ago.

Make sure the coils have been cleaned with a industrial coil cleaner if they are dirty you will lose capacity, and I would cover simple things before recommending replacement

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How much should a new unit cost that is comparable to cool the same area as our current carrier unit?
You could expect to pay $7500.00 to $10,000.00 maybe lower if all the duct work is good and can deliver 400cfm / per/ ton