Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.

trane xe 900 tech stated compressor is out. anyway to replace

Customer Question

trane xe 900 tech stated compressor is out. anyway to replace compressor or better to replace system? comparable new system? and price?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Bart Jay :

Do you have a serial number or what is tha ge of the uinit

no serial number unit is 10 - 13 yrs old

Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! I have kind of a rule of thumb and that is that if a system is over 10 years old, it's best not to invest any major money into it as you'll never get it back. The other thing to think about now is that R22 systems (which is most likely what this is) are being phased out and parts and R22 will eventually be hard to find. Have a high efficiency R410A system put in. You'll be much better off. Price for a new system is going to vary a LOT. It depends on local rates, shop markups, etc. I can install a good quality high efficiency Comfortmaker 410A system for about $3400.This includes new condenser and coil, pad, electrical whip, etc.

Edited by Tim H on 7/15/2010 at 12:06 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Spot on. We were told by the service tech that the heat pump outside and the airhandler furnace inside needed to be replaced as they were both set up for the R22 or Freon coolant and we could not replace just the outside unit.

He recommended a Carrier Comfort Series 13 with an complete install to include pad outside if needed, replace the airhandler inside, new duct work if needed, and removal of all old equipment for $4600

This is in the Louisville, KY metro area. Other estimates have been as high as 6500. Good price? Smart Recommendation?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 years ago.
That doesn't seem like too bad a price, then. Are you familiar with this company and their work? Do you trust them?