Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

my central airconditioner keeps tripping a circuit breaker.

Customer Question

my central airconditioner keeps tripping a circuit breaker. It does not do it all the time but about once or twice a day.The furnace fan continues to run. After I turn off the system at the thermostat, and the heater fan stops running, I reset the breaker and restart the HVAC.
After numerous visits, the Repairman checked the amps/volt load and has replaced the circuit breaker and the capacitor. He said he did not know what else it could be.
He is asking the local power company to check amps/volts coming in.
The unit coils are clean. It does not have an outside fuse disconnect. It is a copper disconnect only
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! It sounds to me as if you have either a compressor or condenser fan motor that is going out. Sometimes a part can have amp readings that are OK at the point that readings are taken and then later the amp draw exceeds the rating of the circuit breaker. This would happen especially as the compressor (the more likely culprit) or condenser fan heat up.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

UPDATE: On Saturday July 10th, the repairman, who works for the home warranty company, installed a amp booster on the Carrier HVAC compressor,to help it start. He said the compressor was starting and running ok and would cost $700 to replace. The booster appeared to work so we left for a 3 day vacation. Last night when we got back, the home was 92degrees and the circuit breaker had tripped and the heater fan was blowing hot air. I turned off the termostat, waited to the fan to stop, reset the circuit breaker, and restarted the HVAC. The repairman will be here today.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 years ago.
Let me know if I can be of further help