Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Experience:  UA Journeyman Pipefitter , HVAC, Refrigeration, DDC controls. 26 years.Commercial & residential

why does my ac fan sucks water out of the drip pan when the

Customer Question

why does my ac fan sucks water out of the drip pan when the door is on. when the door is not on it does not suck the water.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mark Henley :

Hi, if the ductwork is too restrictive or the filter is too restrictive you will get this problem, when the door is open there is plenty of air to draw from so it does not create that vacuum that pulls the water in, you may end up cutting a hole in the return to alleviate the problem.

Where is the return? Do you mean door?

Mark Henley :

Well not the door, you want to cut the hole before the filter, air goes in one way and out the other, you want to get a hole in the duct before it enters the furnace, cut like an 8 by 8 and then you can find a grille to put over it, that will alleviate the water carry over.