BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a bryant 661cj024-e, unit is blowing out cool (not cold)

I have a bryant 661cj024-e, unit is blowing out cool (not cold) air and is not blowing out as much air as usual. Unit is on all the time now trying to get the temperature down inside the house as it was 99 degrees here yesterday. What quick troubleshooting steps can I try before calling a tech out?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

filter ok?

Customer:

yes, just replaced about a week ago

Billy :

With the unit running...locate where the 2 copper pipes enter the indoor unit...one has black rubber insulation on it...move the rubber and feel the copper pipe at the cabibet entrance. Tell me what it feels like...warm, cold, dry, wet...etc.

Customer:

ok sounds good, brb

Customer:

its dry and just only as warm at the outside temperature

Billy :

And the outdoor unit is running?

Customer:

yes sir

Billy :

Ok...2 choices.....the fan in the top is running but the compressor in the bottom is not....and the other is major loss of freon. My guess is the start capacitor for the compressor is the first culprit. Of course it can a burned wire, bad compressor etc...but the capacitor is where I would start. Follow the wires from compressor and they will lead to an oval or round cylinder. See if the top is bulged or if any oil film. The capcitor is what starts the compressor.

Customer:

ok brb

Billy :

ok

Customer:

billy, thanks for your help but i think i'm gonna have to call a tech out for this, i'll go ahead and pay anyways, thanks