Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a 1990 Rheem central ac unit. It has completely stopped

I have a 1990 Rheem central ac unit. It has completely stopped running, what can I do?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

What is the model number?

Customer:

rheem 1991 model #RAFD 036JAS

Billy :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX indoor blower unit running?

Customer:

NO

Billy :

What furnace do you have?

Customer:

WE DON'T HAVE A FURNACE, WE HAVE ELECTRIC BASEBOARD HEAT

Billy :

But you have a blower...what is the unit that blows the air?

Customer:

i am not sure. It is in the attic and I have no clue.

Customer:

It was running this afternoon and we had a bad storm while I was out. It does not look like we lost power, but when I came off it was not running.

Billy :

The outdoor unit needs 2 things...power form inside blower and power to the outdoor unit. Right noe it appears to have something to do with the indoor unit. Does the "fan" switch work when switched to on?

Customer:

no, not at all.

Billy :

Ok, have you checked breaker to air handler?

Customer:

what is the air handler? I checked the breaker and it was ok.

Billy :

The air handler is the blower in the attic. This is where the power comes from to turn on the blower and outdoor unit

Customer:

no I have not, I am not able to climb into the attic. There is a breaker/fuse that is in a box above the ac unit outdoors, could this have anything to do with the problem?

Customer:

can that go bad and if so how would I know if it were bad?

Billy :

Not likely. With the given symptoms it is pointing towards either power to the blower or from the blower. If the indoor unit was blowing but the outdoor unit was not running, then it would point to outdoor. The choices now are 1), no power to the blower unit. 2)unit has power but has bad transformer or fuse. I am afraid the blower unit must be checked before proceeding.

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics