Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I am wiring a new Ruud Heatpump to a Honeywell RTH3100C thermostat. The

I am wiring a new Ruud Heatpump to a Honeywell RTH3100C thermostat.
The Ruud has the following:

Connector - Color coming out of HP
Y - Yellow
B - Blue
C - Brown
R - Red
D - Purple

The Honeywell RTH3100C has
Connector - Wiring color
Y - Yellow
R - Red
G - Green
C - Blue
AUX - White
E - Tan

So I should connect R to R, Y to Y, but I am nor SURE about the others, and I can't find a definition as to what a Ruud "D" connection is.

Stan Brewer
(It's 86 degrees in my home and I can't think straight.)
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Tim H :

I can help you, but need more information on the air handler.

Customer:

Tim,

Customer:

Tim, What do you need to know. Also, I only had $9.00 in paypal, will add another $11.00 if that's O.K. with you.

Customer:

The air handler is form Goodman. Sorry for the delay, I was in the attic tracing wires to the air handler when you replied.

Tim H :

I need the model number of the air handler and which terminals are at the board on the air handler.

Customer:

I'm looking now. There is no board. Fan Rely, Electric Heat Relay, 24volt Transformer, Fan Motor and capacitor all mounted on a side panel. , Model Number A32-08.

Customer:

The rires are Pink and Blue to the 24 volt secondary. White and Brown to the same terminal of teh Electric Heating Relay. Green to the Fan Motor Relay.

Tim H :

How do you connect thermostat wires at the air handler? Are there terminals labled R,W, Y and so forth?

Customer:

There are no Terminals on the Air Handler. Just wires coming out and tied into the wires going to the Outside (Ruud) unit and to the Honeywell Thermostat. Main problem is what the "D" connector on the Ruud goes to.

Customer:

The Schematic with the Ruud does not show detail just block diagram.

Customer:

The "D" connector on the Ruud is a purple wire.

Customer:

Rest of the Ruud seems to correspond to standards and contains Y B C R D.

Customer:

O.K.

Tim H :

Is the model number you gave above for the RUUD outdoor unit?

Customer:

No it's on the Air Handler made by Goodman.

Tim H :

Can you give me the model number of the new heat pump (the outside unit)?

Customer:

13PJA30A01

Tim H :

OK, thank you. I will check on this and get back to you. So, I'm a little confused. You say the air handler is a Goodman. But then you say the Ruud has colors coming out of it. Are you talking about the outdoor unit?

Customer:

Yes, the Ruud is an outdoor unit. New Purchase to replace a Goodman that had the compressor go bad. The Goodman is about 15 years old. The Honeywell Thermostat is about 2 years old and worked fine with the Goodman Heat Pump system (Air handler and Outside units).

Customer:

I just can't find anything about the D, rest looks straight forward.

Tim H :

OK, I'll check on this. So your contractor left you high and dry and didn't hook up your stat?

Customer:

I have read that the C on the Ruud may not be common as most manufactures us. Will have to look back to see what they say it was for.

Customer:

I'm working with the Contractor.

Tim H :

OK, got it.

Tim H :

I'm going to check on this with my dealer as I'm a Ruud dealer.

Customer:

Shall I wait on line?

Tim H :

No need to. I'll post a response in a while.

Customer:

O.K. Have an errand I need to run. Will check back on line in about an hour.

Tim H :

Yes, it shouldn't be too much longer than that.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
Looks like "D" terminal is for defrost and would have the W wirenutted to it.
Customer:

O.K. I'm herer

Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
Looks like the "D" terminal is for defrost and would have the W wirenutted to it.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
You should also be aware that this is a mismatched system and there could be potential problems with it. It's usually best to have a matched heat pump and air handler. Make sure that you realize that blue on the heat pump is for the reversing valve and blue on air handler is common.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I found one more issue after we talked. It looks like my thermostat is not compatible with the Ruud Outside Unit. The reason? The Thermostat has a connection "O" - Energize to Cool, but the Heat Pump has "B" - Energize to Heat. First thought (Remember I was hot at the time) was to connect the two and turn the Thermostat to Cool for Heat and then turn it to Heat to Cool. Of course it didn't work that way. So I left the B connection un-connected. This gave us cooling, which was despriately needed. So, I need a Thermostat that puts out 24v on a lead to Energize the Heat function.

Here is how my wiring ened up:

Item Thermostat Inside Outside
Comp Activity Y Y (Yellow)
24V Common B B C (Brown)
Fan E G
24V Hot R R R (Red)
Aux Heat W W D (Purple)
Energize to Cool O B (Blue)

The last wire on the Ruud Outside unit is not connected, becaue it is
"Energize to Heat".

I suspose a 24volt SPDT relay could be added between the Thermostat "O" and the Ruud Outside Unit "B" to gain functionality. But, I suspect I will try to locate a Thermostat designed with a "Energize to Heat" built into it.

Thanks for your help, and I hope this information will help others in the future. If you should learn anything else concerning this problem, I would be glad to hear about it.

Stan
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
You might want to check in the setup function of this stat, there may be a way to reverse the function of that post.
Tim H., HVAC Professional