Heath
Heath, HVAC Technician
Experience:  11 yrs. comm.resid. service, Type III Cert.
29994690

My coleman evcon furnace keeps recycling over and over -- I

Customer Question

My coleman evcon furnace keeps recycling over and over -- I have to turn the thermostat off to get the furnace to completly shut down. Any thoughts?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Heath replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Heath :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX will be my pleasure to assist you. When you say recycling is it the fan staing on or kicking on and then kicking off?

Customer:

THe whole process starts over just like the first. A motor is humming and the fan finally starts up again

Heath :

Is it in air conditioning?

Customer:

No heating

Heath :

Does the furnace start up when this happens?

Customer:

Air conditioning seems to work fine

Heath :

The heat fires up and the furnace works okay but it starts up over and over again?

Customer:

Yes the furnace starts up and heats to temp set on thero and then stops and in a few seconds starts up as if just turned on

Heath :

BUt is it just the fan coming on to cool the furnace or does the furnace actually refire?

Heath :

This is common for the furnace and fan to shut down then it will come back on a few minutes later because the furnace will reach a certain temp. then the fan will shut down and then the fan will come back on to cool the furnace even more.

Heath :

Did you get the last info. I sent

Customer:

It sounds like the furnace actually refires. In all the years that I have lived here I do not remember the furnace acting like this.

Customer:

Are you getting my answers?

Heath :

Yes I am getting them are you getting mine.

Customer:

Yes - So you think it is the thermostat and that should be replaced?

Heath :

Yes I would definitely assume the thermostat is the culprit as the board in the furnace doesn't tell the furnace to fire its the thermostat that is the brain to the furnace telling it when to come on and when to fire for heat and shut down.

Customer:

What thermostat do you recommend?

Heath :

White rogers 1f-95 are good they are 7 day programmable and pretty user friendly.

Customer:

Who carrys that themostat? Home depot? lowes? or??

Heath :

Most any home improvement store will carry the thermostat lowes,home depot, or online you can find them reasonable.

Customer:

Can I install it myself?

Customer:

Thanks Heath - I'll give that a try.

Heath :

Yes you can install it yourself .

Heath :

You are very welcome don't forget to turn the power off to the furnace before disconnecting the old thermostat.