Tom
Tom, HVAC Technician
Experience:  16+yrs HVAC/R service. Residential Commerical Industrial
18550064

My Goodman Air Conditioning/Heating unit stopped working 2

Customer Question

My Goodman Air Conditioning/Heating unit stopped working 2 hours ago all of a sudden.
Model: CAPF048C2A
Model Description: 4 TON 21 W 26 H UNIT
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.

Is the blower unit inside the house running?

If not, try turning it to fan 'on' and see if the indoor blower runs. Let me know what you find.

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom,

Here are some additional things that I've tried since I've posted the question. Since I have 2 systems in the house, both with the same thermostat units - I've swapped thermostats to rule that out. Both work fine with the one system that's functioning.

For the unit that's not functioning, the blower unit does not come on even when I switch fan from "auto" to "on".

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.

Ok, are you comfortable pulling the front of the furnace open? I apologize, I haven't located a manual.

You have lost 24 volt control power to your unit. Something may have blown the control fuse. If you remove the front cover you should find a control board where all of the thermostat and power leads connect. (Make sure you turn power off first!!)

Look for a small automotive type fuse plugged right into the board. It should be about a 5 amp fuse. Pull it out and hold it to the light to see if it's blown.

It may be a different color.

Now, if you replace it and it blows again, we have to figure out what is blowing it, but the first thing is to figure out if it is or is not bad.

Let me know what you find. Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Please let me know if I'm looking in the right place. Attached are photos. I've removed the cover but I still can't locate where the fuse would be.

Photo1

Photo2

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, I don't know my model numbers...you have a horizontal flow gas furnace.

You're close...remove the panel to the right that covers the blower assembly.

Please make sure power is off. Inside that panel will be a control board with a bunch of wires on it. You should find the fuse there.

I apologize for the confusion.

Tom

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.

By the way, nice job on the pictures,, I've not figured out how to do that.

Tom Embarassed

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tom,

You're a genius. Looks like a blown fuse to me with that burnt stuff in the center. I wonder how this would happen. Local hardware stores are closed so I think this is all I can do tonight. Any thoughts on why it would blow? My home is just 2 years old - no previous electrical issues.

Also, I saw that you inserted a picture of a fuse in your earlier response. What specifically about my pictures that were nice. If I can show you, it's the least that I can do. I'm an IT Director by trade.

graphic

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.

I just cut and paste..don't really know how to transfer photos.

Get a box of fuses...we don't know..you may blow another one or two.

There is a list of things that can cause it. A defective control board, a bad relay in the a/c unit, etc.

Here is what I would do. Turn everything on your stat off. Replace the fuse and turn power on. Test one function at a time on your stat. Start with fan 'on'. Then auto, turn on heat, then cool. See which function makes it blow, that'll help a ton.

If it doesn't blow, call it a fluke...voltage spike..lightning..hard telling.

Also, did you remove the thermostat for any reason? Painting? Check the small thermostat going to the unit outside. Make sure it hasn't been damaged by a rodent or a weed wacker. Very commong. If the wires short together anywhere it can take out that fuse.

Check it out tomorrow and simply reply back here. I have to work, but I'll be near my office I will check back off and on during the day.

Please let me know if you have further questions...I'll be happy to help.

Tom

Tom, HVAC Technician
Experience: 16+yrs HVAC/R service. Residential Commerical Industrial
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm not sure if your interface is the same as mine, but if you click on what looks like the tree icon below, it will allow for you to select any image file and insert it into the body of your message.

graphic

I will buy the fuse first thing tomorrow and give it a shot. What you said about the outside air conditioning unit peaks my curiosity. This is horrible for me to say and it may just be a coincidence but I saw an air conditioning guy looking over my unit earlier today. Turns out he was there to service my next door's neighbor unit - adding refridgerant - there was the scuba tank looking thing with gauges. As he was just looking at my unit and didn't actual touch it, I didn't think much until later this evening when the turn down the thermostat to let the A/C come on. It did come on but went out after about 15 minutes. Perhaps if he was comparing my unit to the unit he was working on, he might have loosen something accidentally. I'd like to leave this thread open so we can continue this conversation tomorrow should this not resolve the issue. I will definately pay and tip you when we're done.

Thanks again. Have a good night!

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.

Very good...I'll be interested to see what you find. I do have theat tool bar...just have to take time to figure out what to do with it..

Good night to you as well.

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The fuse worked and it's been a few days and it hasn't blown again so I think all is well. Thanks again for all your help!

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.

Glad to hear it and thanks much for the bonus and feedback. Much appreciated. Please feel free to respond to this post if your problem reappears in the near future.

Tom