Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE
27672032

I have a Fedders Air Conditioner Model A2Q08F2BG installed

I have a Fedders Air Conditioner Model A2Q08F2BG installed in a 1999 Roadtrek conversion van. The problem from the beginning is that the unit does not expel the moisture to the outside of the van. It leaves the inside of the van very cold and WET. Air conditioner service persons have suggested installing an outside drain however your manual on page 2 cautions this unit is not to have a drain. How should it control the inside moisture?
What is the problem with this unit? All maintenance and operating guidelines according the manual have been followed. At this time any attempt to use the air conditioning unit leaves the vehicle so wet the air conditioning unit is unusable.
Please note: In a l992 conversion van I had there was a Fedders air conditioner and it worked very well. Reducing the moisture by an outside drain caused the comfort level to be almost immediate even more so than the lower temperature later.
Being keenly aware of the ineffectiveness of the current unit compared to the previous unit I have been very frustrated. Any advice you can share will be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely
Clarence Stortz,XXXXX550, Marquette, MI 49855
Phone(NNN) NNN-NNNN E mail cbstortz @up.net
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Douglas replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Douglas :

Inside the unit where the condenser fan is, there is a thing called a "slinger ring" this picks up moisture from the drain pan and splashes it on the condenser coil. If the unit is not level, this feature will not work. Is your unit level?

Customer:

The vehicle is leveled by the use of a level each time so I don't feel that is the problem.

Douglas :

Well, the reason for no drain is the slinger ring blows the moisture from the evaporator onto the outdoor coil where it evaporates. The other source of high humidity is an oversized A/C where it can cool the space before it can dehumidify and leaving the fan on in the compressor off cycle will only evaporate the water on the indoor coil before it can drain off.

Customer:

I think I understand your possible explanation of the problem. Having dealt with the Roadtrek company for several years I question that they would have installed the wrong size unit. I am still awaiting a correction of the problem. What do you suggest?

Douglas :

Either cylcle the fan with the compressor or reduce the btuh capacity.

Customer:

I have also been in correspondence with Roadtrek to no avail. I am very disappointed there has not been a resolution to this moisture problem. Even though the Fedders guide advises not to install a drain in the pan what would happen if we did drain the water to the outside? I await your response.

Douglas :

I am not optimistic that there is a quick fix. the only means of removing moisurte is by compressor run time. To be clear, you are not conversing with anyone who represents Roadtrek, Fedders or any other company. We are independent technicians that offer technical support. With that said, I still maintain that a air conditioner must have accumulated run time to reduce moisture. Short cycles do not accomplish this and after a short cycle, about everything that is left in the coil is returned to the air. The long cycles allow the moisture to be evaporated on the condenser coil and cast outside.

Douglas :

A drain pan will do nothing for you.

Customer:

I am disappointed that I feel there has not been a resolution to the moisture problem. However I do appreciate your prompt responses and will pay the amount due of $28.