BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

air conditioner wont kick in

Customer Question

air conditioner won't kick in
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

I apologize...had site and computer issues. How was the wire?

Customer: Glad you are back, I pushed in the center of the mechanism as you suggested and the compressor starts. So what are next steps to get it to work right
Billy :

Now we need to back track on the skinny wire with 2 conductors in it. This is the thermostat wire that runs with the copper pipes from the indoor unit to the outdoor unit. Now we know the 220v is we have to find what is stopping the 24v. It could be damaged wire, an open low pressure safety switch....bad contactor etc...for now follow the wire and check for any damage from weed wacker or being pulled etc

Customer: All wires look normal
Billy :

Is there any way you can get a meter?

Customer: yes, a simple one I think, be right back
Billy :

All we need is it to be capable of 24 volts ac.

Customer: I have a screwdriver that lights up
Billy :

I am afraid that will only pick up 120v +......the next step is to remove the 2 wires that run into the unit ...this is the skinny thermostat connects with 2 wire nuts....we wnt to take those apart and measure for 24v coming outside.

Customer: OK, new approach. I installed a honeywell humidifier last october. I had a question about how to wire the Vision Pro IAQ, I got directions off of this website, from "Mathew" who said "pick any of the three wires at the thermostat and hook them 1,2,3, then at the EIM to 1,2,3." You might have this in your files. This was in October, so the AC has not been needed till now. My guess is the EIM (Equipment Interface Module) is wired wrong, and the 24 volt wires that signal the compressor to turn on are not wired correctly. Can you help me with that?
Billy :

Let me check the archives

Customer: Billy, I think I am pretty sure I wired the humidifier interface module wrong, any way to tell which wire should signal the compressor? This must be in the wrong spot either coming in from my thermostat, or going out to the lennox. I think from the lennox to the compressor is probably ok
Customer: visionpro IAQ, Honeywell
Customer: any thoughts