Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

We have a general electric air conditioner, model ASH18DES1.

Customer Question

We have a general electric air conditioner, model ASH18DES1. It has been of for the winter, and we just turned it on today to get E1 code. We have unplugged the unit for several minutes but still get E1 code. We have done this 4 times. What can we do? What kind of problem? Dan
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
Try using the buttons, pushing them in and out. E1 indicates an internal electrical problem. You may also try using your remote The unit thinks that one or more buttons are pushed in. Basically "play around" with it until the code goes away.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I played with all th buttons and semmed to have gotten a response in that the screen showed a temperature value and then increased this until it hit 85. When I hit the power button it all went blank and then no response from any button. I have unplugged, waited, and plugged back in. I geta beep when I plug in but nothing lights up or responds on the panel.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
It appears that after 720 hours of use the E1 Error comes up as a reminder to clean the filter the filter. Although as in our case the E1 Error never cleared...below is what helped us out in clearing this code...this was for a Sharp but worked fine for our Haier Brand.

1. Power down the air conditioner using the "power" button on the front
panel.
2. Unplug the air conditioner from the wall socket.
3. Hold the front panel "power" button down and plug the air
conditioner in. Continue to hold the power button down as the machine
goes through a brief test sequence (fan & compressor each come on
briefly, etc). There is a "beep" sound at the end of the test sequence,
and the machine will be off. At this point, you can release the power
button.
4. Unplug the air conditioner.
5. Plug the air conditioner back in.
6. Congratulations! You should now be able to operate the air
conditioner normally for another 720 hours, but only if you followed
the instructions above EXACTLY.